This time of year, few things feel better than curling up with a mug of something warming and a good book, and my go-to is usually a spermidine-rich bowl of Ginger Miso Soup. Immune boosting, anti-inflammatory and full of flavor, this hits the spot while providing plenty of health benefits to make it the perfect self-care treat.
- 600ml homemade chicken bone broth*
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp of probiotic unpasteurized miso
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- A little sea salt (depending on the saltiness of your miso)
- 1-2 eggs to make it creamy and more substantial
- Chilli flakes
- *For a Vegetarian or Vegan option, use good quality vegetable stock instead of chicken bone broth
1. Bring the bone broth to the boil and reduce to a simmer for a few minutes to heat through, then turn off the heat.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk the miso with room temperature water before mixing it in with the rest of the bone broth or vegetable stock.
3. When the broth or stock has cooled off a bit (it should not be boiling hot to avoid killing the healthy probiotics in the miso).
4. Squeeze the ginger over the pan to extract all of the juice, add the miso and crack in an egg if using.
5. Use a whisk to blend it in until smooth and creamy.
6. Pour it into a mug/bowl and stir in the sea salt and lemon juice to taste, then top with chilli flakes and/or your favorite seaweed.